Monday, February 21, 2011

The Shower Saga

Little pumpkin is in her bassinet winding down. I've started putting her in there when she gets really sleepy and she'll watch her mobile until she falls asleep. It's cute because she'll watch it and then stare at the side of the bed for a really long time. This happens over and over again until she falls asleep. I read somewhere that it's best if you can get them to fall asleep on their own so that they can put themselves back to sleep in the middle of the night when they wake up.

I'm going to blog about what happened to me tonight. It is of no interest or importance to anyone else, but it was a major source of stress for me and I really need to get it off my chest.

I was invited to a baby shower for a local pastor's wife tonight. It's not my usual crowd, but I was honored to be invited so I decided to go. I get me and Ainsley dressed to impress and headed out to a baby boutique to buy the gift on the way. I had left in just enough time (2 hrs early) to go buy the gift, drive across town to the restaurant, and feed Ainsley (in the car) before going in. I got into traffic and realized I wasn't going to make it to the boutique before it closed. I decided to call them to see if they'd stay open just five extra minutes. It's a privately owned store so I figured they'd want to make a sale. No. They wouldn't stay open. :( I couldn't think of any other place to go so I headed to Dillards. After picking an outfit that would "do" I went to the checkout counter. The cashier was super sweet, but was wanting me to give her advice on what her 1-month old nephew should wear to a funeral. She KEPT asking more questions. I guess she thought I was an expert since I'm a mother of a 2-month old. I wanted to say, "Look, Lady, I'm in a huge hurry! I know NOTHING about how to dress a newborn boy!" I didn't though. She was just so nice and other under circumstances, I'd have probably been thrilled to help her find something appropriate for her nephew who "loved his milk." I tried to give her my opinion in the nicest way possible.

I make it out of the store with an hour remaining. I still have to get across town and find the restaurant. I make it to the exit with 30 minutes left. I'm thinking that it is still doable. I drive around for THIRTY minutes trying to find the restaurant. I didn't have the person's number who invited me or anyone who would be in attendance. I call a restaurant in that chain - they have no clue where it is. I call 411 - they can't help. I finally gave up. I realized if I ever found the place, I would still have to feed Ainsley which would put me extremely late.

Shawn was out with some friends so I ended up just going to meet them. I am still so bummed that this all didn't work out for me. I just wanted to cry. All that work for NOTHING. Sometimes you just have to give up though. Now I'm just wondering do I keep the gift for Ainsley or still give it... :)

3 comments:

  1. Bless your sweet heart. Those kinds of days are the pits. I well remember one similar day, only I was trying to make it to Anna's pediatrician appointment, way over in the medical center. The morning began on the wrong foot and I ended up locking myself out of my house, with Stan at the fire station! It was 98-degrees outside and in the days of no cell phones. It was a day so traumatic, I wrote an article about it. LOLOL! But, seriously, sometimes you do have to just give up and know you did your best. You can always mail your gift to the happy mother-to-be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m worn out just reading this! Poor thing, I can imagine how frustrating it was. I wish I had known you were going and we could have gone together. Surely between the two of us we could have found it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I think its great letting little Ainsley put her self to sleep. Now that Benson is trained to put himself to sleep when I have a few minutes in the evening I rock him but know that it wont be hours and hours trying to get him to sleep. Sad to say though, sometimes when I’m rocking him he arches his back and wants me to put him in his bed. Lol He’s like me, he likes his bed!

    ReplyDelete