Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Stinky Baby

During the last week or so, I have been stumped by an unpleasant odor I would smell when holding Ainsley. Now don't start thinking I don't give her baths or am not taking care of her, because I do. :) The first time I smelled it I thought maybe she'd somehow gotten spit up on the back of her head. Then, the second time I got a whiff I thought I'd found the culprit. I believed it was behind her ears. I thought I'd been cleaning it good. Shawn and I discussed it several times. I told him to pay special attention behind her ears when bathing her and I did the same.

This morning after my devotion time, I sat down to hold her in my glider. I was holding her up and playing with her when I caught a glimpse of something grey underneath a fold on her neck. It took me a while to even maneuver her head so I could get under there. Oh My Lord! Neck Jam. All the way around the front of her little neck. It was difficult to even get to it knowing it was there. Her head had to be tilted back. I did wash her neck during baths, but the way her little bath sling has her sitting her neck isn't really visible. Thank God I found the smell. I didn't want people thinking I had a stinky baby.

I guess being in the devotion mindset I had a thought. How many little creases need to be cleaned out in our mind and heart? A build-up of junk that we don't even realize is there. Every now and then it comes out and we catch a whiff of something that is not pleasing to God. What if others catch a glimpse of some "grey" matter that we don't even know about? It might be difficult to get to and we may have to search ourselves daily. Lord, please don't let me have any "neck jam" hidden somewhere. :)


2 comments:

  1. This was a cute post. The only reason I knew about the neck is because my little neice ALWAYS has a gross black line around her neck from slobber, sweat and God knows what else. I clean her whenever I'm with her...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this, and the spiritual implication is so true.

    One thing is sure, whenever babies start to get little rolls here and there, dirt will follow. :) Glad you found the culprit. She's always smelled heavenly every time I've held her.

    ReplyDelete